Saturday, October 19, 2013

The 14th Year

Today is the 14th anniversary of my dads death.

I keep thinking he died young.  He was just 60 years old.  Just 17 days shy of his 61st birthday.

I had just read an article about how the age of 65 was too early to retire.  I kinda wish my dad retired at age 60.  Maybe he and my mom would have been able to go on a vacation to Europe.

Maybe if Oct. 19th, 1999 would still have been the day he would die ... he would have still had a year (almost) to be a retired man.

I think about how he would have had time to travel the world.  I could picture my mom and him riding the gondola in Venice, the two of them eating crepes in Paris, the two of them marveling the Sistine Chapel in Rome, and pretending to hold up the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Some days at work ... I think ... what would my dad do?  I think he worked to hard.  He liked his Jack Daniels and his Benson & Hedges.  I wonder how much longer he would have worked.  Would he have retired at 65??  If he was doing something else ... would he have been less stressed and healthier?

Today marks 10 years and 7 months of me working at JOB ... not at a CAREER.  Everyday I wake up and think ... IS THIS ALL THERE IS??  I feel like if my dad had been alive these past 14 years, he and my mom would have had these fabulous adventures.  He would tell me to QUIT YOUR JOB AND TRAVEL THE WORLD.

Not really sure though.

I think about all these crazy things happening in the world today ... these things might actually have stressed him out & anger him.

Dad ... if you can ... somehow ... during the Super Lotto draw ... find a way for me to win ... and of course several others ... and then I could take that trip around the world ... the trip I wish that you an mom could have had.

I miss you.

No comments: