Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Anybody Out There


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
** SPOILERS ALERT **

I finally finished Marian Keyes latest book. I kinda wished I read her first novels of the Walsh sisters. Then I might have known the importance of Rachel (Rachel's Holiday) & Luke, and Maggie (Angels). I just finished Watermelon and loved Claires story. But was disappointed on how her personality "turned out" in this book.

Nevertheless, I really liked this book. It was weird going from the "stoned" Anna in Watermelon to the career woman in Anybody Out There.

I loved the structure of the book. Keyes would go from present to the past to the present from one chapter to the other. The present being Anna recovering from an accident. The past details her getting her job and the course of her relationship with Aidan.

While recovering from her accident, she tries to contact Aidan via email and leaves messages on his voice mail. I wondered why Aidan never tried to contact her, but reading through the first few chapters and finding out that Aidan had a past relationship with a woman named Janie, I figured they had an agrument about her and that he was keeping his distance and that Anna's accident had something to do about "the other woman".

Something about the Prologue hinted about photographs, and I kinda got a feeling but I wasn't really sure. But I got my answer in Part 3 ~ and I was right. Something about Chapter 4 got to me. It was the first phone call Anna makes to Aidans cell phone...I had to go back and re-read it...Anna tells herself that she had to go back to New York and try to find Aidan...it was the second to the last paragraph.

"There was a chance he mightn't be there but I had to give it a go because there was one thing I was certain of: he wasn't here."

Hmm...should I have catched it then?? Nope...Too soon.

Well, I could go on about how I laughed soo hard regarding Anna's other sister Helen and her Private Investigation work...and their mother...how adorable is she. I love how Keyes uses emails as a way to advance the stories too. Anyways back to the story of Anna and Aidan.
** HUGE SPOILER ~ STOP NOW IF YOU DONT WANT TO FIND OUT **

I knew it in Chapter 23. The wash bag that fell. The scent of fresh flowers.

"It was Lilies, a smell I hate - so heavy and musty, like death"

I knew it then. Aidan was dead.

And I started to cry. I hoped things would get better. That things would get answered.
In the end, things got answered. And there was hope that things will get better.
Read the book, and you'll understand.

No comments: